Friday, January 25, 2008

What's it worth to you?


A super cool lady at on a message board I waste valuable company time on posted an interesting question. What would you be willing to give up for a cause you deeply believed in? My knee jerk reaction is anything. I raise my kids to be the same. I believe we have no other options then to be prepared to give up everything for the right reasons. Like plastic. Just slowly. In my reply to her, I added the most touching quote I have ever read, I have a little print out of it that I keep in my purse (right next to the Love letter from Frank to Mia)

“In Germany, the Nazis first came for the Communists, and I did not speak up
because I was not a communist. Then they came for the Jews, but I did not speak
up because I was not a Jew. And then they came for the trade unionists, and I
did not speak up because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for the
Catholics, but I was a Protestant, so I did not speak up. And then they came for
me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for anyone. To make sure
this does not happen again, the injustice to anyone anywhere must be the concern
of everyone everywhere.”
Yom HaShoah 2006/5766Rabbi Nina H. Mandel


Think about it. Really think about it. As a society we can no longer afford to shut our collective eyes to the horror and tragedy surrounding us. The things we say “it’s not my problem” to today will be your children’s problem tomorrow.

What would you be personally willing to give up? What is the one cause that inspires you to want to do great things? For me it is the environment and cancer. Cancer is pulling too many of my most loved friends away from me. I want to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

 
Dear Paper Cup, - Free Blogger Templates - by Templates para novo blogger